There are different poker rules that need to be followed for any game of poker that you play. Understanding these poker rules will help you to play a better game and can also improve your opportunities for winning at a game of poker. Here, I’ll help you understand a general set of poker rules as applicable for Texas Hold Em Poker, which is the most widely played form of poker today.
The game begins by dealing out cards from a 52 card deck to players at a table. Each player is dealt two hole cards and there are also community cards that dealt on to the table facing upwards so that players can use them to make a winning hand. The best five card combination wins the jackpot amount.
- Buy In: If you want to be able to get in on the action at a poker table, you will have to buy your way in, by placing a wager. This is also called a buy in. Sometimes you have to pay as much as ten times the maximum table limit, while in the case of no limit games you may have to pay as much as twenty times the big blind value.
- Misdeals: You can be required to receive a corrected set of cards in any of the following cases, also known as misdeals:
- If the dealer exposes cards by mistake
- If extra cards are dealt in the first round
- If cards are incorrectly dealt face downwards
- If cards are dealt to an empty seat
- If cards are not dealt in sequence
- If any player receives an incorrect number of cards
- Dead hands: It’s game over for a particular hand in case any of the following occurs:
- The player folds
- The player claims a hand that include a joker as one of the hole cards
- A player plays cards in a way that makes other players think they have folded
- A player hands cards to another player
- There are a wrong number of cards with the player
- If time has passed and there has been no gameplay
- Exceptions and irregularities: In every game of poker certain circumstances may occur that may act as an exception from the norm so different poker rules will apply. In these cases:
- Always remember to protect your own hand.
- If there is any irregularity with the cards that is noticed by a player and not reported, the player forfeits all their rights to any refunds and the game will be declared dead
- Ties: Ties can be broken in most cases by checking which is the highest ranking hand. In case the cards are of the same rank in the case of a stud game, a suit can be used to break the tie, with the club being of the highest value, followed by diamonds, hearts and then spades. When there is a tie, the jackpot is split between the players.