If you are a beginner to poker, there’s a lot of variety out there for you to explore. For one thing, there are several different types of poker games that exist and are played at casinos today. Here, I’ll be telling you about the types of poker games that are commonly played so that the next time you are playing at a casino, you can choose the one that seems the most interesting to you.
Types of poker games
- Texas Hold ‘Em: This is easily the most popular version of the game and is also the most played in casinos everywhere. When people describe a poker game, they are more often than not describing Texas Hold ‘Em. Among the different types of poker games that are out there, this is the most preferred because of its easy playing style and is also highly recommended for newbies. In Texas Hold ‘Em, the players are dealt with two cards each, which are called pocket or hole cards, and then they also get to see five community cards that are dealt to the table. There are four rounds of wagering that can take place, and the hole cards and the community cards can be used to create a winning hand. The best combination wins, depending on the rank of the cards in case of a tie.
- Omaha: This is a variant of the Texas Hold ‘Em types of poker wherein there are anywhere between two and ten people playing at the same table. There are four rounds of wagering here as well. Players are dealt with four pocket cards while there are five community cards dealt to the table at a single time. The best five card combination wins the game.
- 7-Card Stud: Here, players are dealt with seven cards which can be used to create a winning hand.
- 5-Card Draw: Here, players are dealt with five cards, three of which can be replaced in the first round of wagering.
- High / Low Chicago: This game is played for either the highest ranking hand or the lowest ranking hand, depending on the variant being played. High Chicago rules that a player can win half the jackpot if they have the highest ranking hand, whereas in Low Chicago the player with the lowest ranking hand wins half the jackpot. The rest of the jackpot amount can be claimed by players with the best hand.
- Follow the Queen: Here, players have to play a seven card stud types of poker game with a wild card that is predesignated by the dealer after a queen has been played. Therefore, the wild card is the card that is revealed after a queen. In case there has been no queen revealed so far, no wild card is designated for that hand.
There are even more variants and types of poker depending on the casino you go to; try to play a new game with free cash where possible so that you can get accustomed to the game.